Friday, February 26, 2016

How a ‘half-a-second’ sex assault charge ruined this man’s life

Mark Pearson says his brush with a fellow commuter at a busy London train station ruined his life.
Rohan Smith

MARK Pearson was walking through the busiest train station in the UK during peak hour when his life changed forever.
In his left hand he was carrying a newspaper. His right hand was holding the strap on his backpack. As he brushed past a woman walking in the opposite direction, their shoulders colliding briefly, the 51-year-old thought nothing more of it.

The woman, an actress on her way to a rehearsal, later told police Mr Peason sexually assaulted her. She offered details of how he “penetrated her” on the concourse of Waterloo Station despite the fact she was wearing “training pants” under a dress and despite footage showing he never broke stride.

Mr Pearson said the case against him was “preposterous”, but still his name was dragged through the mud. For a year he defended himself in court and out of court. When he explained to people that it never happened like his accused said it did, he knew people were thinking: “Of course you would say that”.

A jury spent just 90 minutes deliberating before finding Mr Pearson not guilty last week. It came as a relief to the married picture-framer but the damage had already been done.

“Anybody who has seen the CCTV images knows that I couldn’t possibly have done it,” Mr Pearson said.
“It is against everything I believe in as a human being. I did nothing. I would have had to crouch down, put my hand up the woman’s skirt ... penetrate her, take my hand out again ... all while holding the newspaper and walking along the concourse.”

He says he now suffers from anxiety.

“For me, half a second turned into a year of hell. I feel I have undergone a form of mental torture sanctioned by the state.”

CCTV footage shows Mark Pearson never took his hands off his bag or his newspaper. Picture: BBC
CCTV footage shows Mark Pearson never took his hands off his bag or his newspaper. Picture: BBCSource:Supplied

Prosecutors unsuccessfully argued Mark Pearson sexually assaulted an unnamed actress at Waterloo Station a year ago. Picture: BBC
Prosecutors unsuccessfully argued Mark Pearson sexually assaulted an unnamed actress at Waterloo Station a year ago. Picture: BBCSource:Supplied

The case was pursued by the Crown Prosecution Service despite no witnesses and no forensic evidence supporting the woman’s claims.

Martin Daubney, the former editor of men’s magazine Loaded, penned a passionate plea for common sense headlined: ‘Stop treating all men as sex pests’. In it, he said Mr Pearson’s case highlights a “misplaced war” on men.

“At ground level, men are being made to feel increasingly hated by a society and legal system that seems to say ‘all men are capable of evil — if only you look hard enough’.”

Mr Pearson’s wife Carol said she knew all along that her husband was innocent, incapable of doing what he was accused of doing. On social media, users demanded the name of Mr Pearson’s accuser be made as public as his.

 11 Feb 2016

Mark Pearson's case is definitely not an isolated one.

This is how the 'system' allows 'Occupational Hoes' (women who take men to court to falsely extrude money - you know a bit like extortion) to 'get away' with false accusations.

While in this instance it may seem like a random attack on a man on the street many women conjure up all sorts of false accusations especially with regards to child custody issues, but that matter is for separate  posts.

P.S. The plebs may have a difficult time comprehending that 'Justice' is a business.

No comments: