Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Warrant issued for arrest of driver with $300,000 in unpaid tolls fines

A WARRANT has been issued for the arrest of a serial tolls dodger who has amassed fines of almost $300,000. 
 
Isabelle Maree Weir was a no-show in court today, where she faced 138 individual warrants understood to relate to unpaid road tolls.

Ms Weir has accumulated a staggering $294,362.40 worth of infringement notices, Dandenong Magistrates’ Court heard, making her one of the state’s biggest fine evaders.

She had been bailed to appear at today’s penalty enforcement hearing, but had her bail revoked when she failed to attend.

Magistrate Pauline Spencer issued a warrant for her arrest. Ms Spencer said she would not reveal the exact nature of the charges facing Ms Weir until the matter returned to court when she was apprehended.

An anonymous tipster claimed on 3AW yesterday that the woman had failed to pay 515 EastLink and 495 CityLink tolls.

At least $4.4 million in road tolls and fines remain unpaid in Victoria, according to a report by the Sentencing Advisory Council released last week.

The council recommended that fine dodgers be barred from travelling overseas and have their passports flagged among a series of sweeping reforms to try to recoup more than $400 million of unpaid fines racked up in Victoria each year.

The bold proposal — one of 49 recommendations to the State Government — came after new figures revealed that about 700,000 police and local government infringements issued each year are ignored and 40 cent of Victorians refuse to pay court fines.

Other suggestions included the halving of infringement costs for concession card holders and children, introducing a HECS-style initiative to have the ATO collect outstanding fines, making directors personally liable for fines incurred by corporations, and making it possible for people to pay fines by completing community work or development courses.

Forty-five people were jailed for not paying fines in 2012-13.

The report found taxi drivers were Victoria’s worst toll dodgers.

CityLink spokeswoman Suzanne Waddell said: “We find the majority of motorists do the right thing, with only around 0.3 per cent of trips made on CityLink referred to the Department of Justice for action for non-payment.”

heraldsun.com.au 3 June 2014

Unfortunately for the authorities, the so called 'warrants' that are issued are issued UNLAWFULLY.

This is a fact that has been confirmed by police 'off the record'.

A warrant cannot be produced upon demand.

Another fraud by the authorities.

The so called 'fines' are also illegal.

This is a grand scale fraud, hidden in plain sight.

No comments: