Treasurer Wayne Swan says Sydney's Daily Telegraph has "blatantly misled" its readers over assertions that the government is considering a congestion tax.
The newspaper said on Friday the government was about to hit drivers with another wave of "Greens-induced" tax pain by exploring a road congestion tax in the nation's major cities at the October tax forum.
Mr Swan said the government has previously indicated that it would not be introducing congestion charges."
"(It) stated clearly yesterday to the Daily Telegraph that congestion charges were a matter for state governments and the federal government has no intention of implementing congestion charges," he said in a brief statement on Friday.
"Given the government's clearly stated position that it will not be introducing congestion charges, the Telegraph has blatantly misled its readers."
He also pointed out that the front page story states that drivers are still reeling from the announcement of a carbon tax, when again the government has clearly stated that fuel for motorists has been excluded from the carbon pricing policy.
29 Jul 2011
No so, claims the paper again with its reaffirmation that the 'Congestion Tax' is going to take place.
Irrespective of the whether the government got caught out, or the paper 'blatantly misled', there is a policy of misinformation to the masses, as in any event the paper is at the service of the government.
What the general populous may not realise it that the heads of politics and business all rub shoulders at various events.