Former Bandidos bikie enforcer Toby Mitchell. Former Bandidos bikie enforcer Toby Mitchell. Photo: Michael Clayton-Jones 
Former bikie enforcer Toby Mitchell has been bailed over an alleged random road rage attack where he is accused of punching a cyclist in the face.

Echo taskforce Detective Senior Constable Andrew Sward told the Melbourne Magistrates Court on Friday that Mr Mitchell pulled up alongside a cyclist on the Harbour Esplanade at the intersection of Collins Street in the Docklands at 10pm on Monday, asking him: "Why aren't you using the bike lane".

The cyclist, a 31-year-old not known to the former Bandidos sergeant-at-arms, replied: "You're in a car, you can use the freeway", Senior Constable Sward said.

Former Bandidos bikie sergeant-at-arms Toby Mitchell.
Former Bandidos bikie sergeant-at-arms Toby Mitchell. Photo: Wayne Taylor
He said Mr Mitchell, driving a white Mercedes, drove at the cyclist forcing him to take evasive action.

He said Mr Mitchell, 40, then got out of his car and punched the cyclist in the face before taking off.
Two people in another car witnessed the alleged incident, the court heard, and the cyclist reported the matter to police that night.

Mr Mitchell has been charged with recklessly cause conduct, drive in a manner dangerous, intentionally and recklessly cause injury and unlawful assault.

His lawyer Theo Magazis told the court his client attended a police station voluntarily on Friday morning after making an appointment with police on Thursday night.

Mr Magazis said his client made no admissions to police and there were matters that were "in dispute".
He said Mr Mitchell would comply with bail conditions, saying in the three years he was on bail for a previous affray offence, he never breached the court's orders.

Police opposed bail, saying Mr Mitchell had a "propensity for violence" and was likely to interfere with witnesses.

In granting bail on Friday afternoon, Magistrate Charlie Rozencwajg described the six-and-a-half months Mr Mitchell recently served over charges that were later dropped as "brownie points or credits".

Mr Rozencwajg said the "dead time" Mr Mitchell served for charges over allegations of assault and extortion served as credit in the fresh allegations as per the Karpinski principle.

"It can be called upon in relation to a subsequent charge," he said.

Mr Mitchell was fined $1000 last month after pleading guilty to recklessly cause injury. Sixteen other charges laid by the Echo taskforce were dropped.

Mr Magazis said Mr Mitchell's tattoo shop - City of Ink in South Melbourne- "suffered significantly" as a result of his incarceration.

Bail conditions included not contacting witness and attending an assessment for a program to address anger management.

Mr Mitchell made no comment to media outside court as he walked down Lonsdale Street with his arm around his lawyer.