05 February 2009

Road rage bashing caught on camera


A birthday celebration turned into a terrifying ordeal for a Victorian couple involved in a road rage attack — and the whole event was captured on film.

Rachel Stockdale said she and her husband Brad were driving through a roundabout in Melbourne's north-west when another car cut in front of them and almost caused a vehicle collision.

She began filming on her digital camera after the other car came to an abrupt stop a short distance down the road, forcing her and Mr Stockdale to pull over.

Video footage shows the other driver get out of their car and lunge at Mr Stockdale while his wife screams in the background.

"Go away … go away … you're going to jail for this," Mrs Stockdale yells.

Blood can be seen gushing from the side of Mr Stockdale's head.

"I was holding him back and he was trying to reach for my face and he's got me on [my right] side and he … punched me in the temples as well," Mr Stockdale said on the TODAY show.

Mrs Stockdale was also attacked as the other driver attempted to yank the camera out of her hands.

"I wasn't going to stop filming for anything and that's what made the guy really go for me," Mrs Stockdale said.

She said she was punched twice during the scuffle.

"I was shaking … the footage has a lot of screaming because I didn't know what to do," Mrs Stockdale said.

"I couldn't really help my husband physically because [the other driver's] whole family was on him at that point."

The confrontation ended when the drivers of passing cars flagged down by Mrs Stockdale intervened.

Doctors said the couple, from St Albans in Victoria's south, suffered concussion, cuts, bruises and wrist pain.

Mr Stockdale did not state the date the incident occurred but said that he and his wife were on their way to a dinner to celebrate his 30th birthday at the time.

Police were immediately informed of the incident but no charges have been laid.

ninemsn 5 Feb 2009

1 comment:

Rachael said...

I would like to correct this article. Charges in fact where laid in 2010, Xuan Tran of Taylors Lakes, (Vic) the offender lost his license and is serving a suspended sentence. He also was fined a large undisclosed sum.